THE SECRET>>>>>Consistency is the most important part of any workout program. It doesn't matter if you're coming to the Fort and giving it 110% effort, lifting MASSIVE weights and beating every time on our record board if you're only showing up once a week. If you want to see improvements in your overall health and fitness, consistency needs to be your new BFF.
FOR STARTERS. We start everyone with a 3-day-a-week ramp-up program because this is where we feel beginners can see the most benefit. You're still getting plenty of recovery time so you're not too sore, but you're also gradually introducing your body to the intensity of CrossFit workouts. Our goal is to have you continue the 3 days/week through ramp-up and beyond.
COMMIT. Can you commit to 3 days a week? Can you find 3 hours out of your week to work on your health and fitness? I realize everyone has varying degrees of hectic-ness in their lives, but could you wring out just 3 hours of time per week? Maybe that means you have to watch less TV. Maybe it means you have to wake up earlier. I can't dictate how much you are willing to sacrifice in order to get your butt to the gym, but I can tell you this: you'll keep spinning your wheels unless you can find more time.
TIPS. Here are some tips to help you make your workouts a priority:
- Reserve your classes ahead of time. Look at your week and log into our scheduling program and pick which classes you are going to attend each week. Tell yourself these are just as important as meetings with your boss!
- Show up, no matter what. Don't stay home because you're sore, or tired, or you have a runny nose. You made this commitment to yourself (and me as your coach), so show up to your scheduled classes. If you're feeling crappy, just tell yourself that you're going to take it easy and listen to your body. At the very least just show up, warm up, and do the strength work.
- No excuses! In real life, your excuses don't matter. If it isn't a life or death emergency, chances are it can wait an hour until you're done with your workout.
- Find a Friend. You're far more likely to succeed if you are training with a friend or family member. Find someone to hold you accountable. Or just show up to class and you're sure to make new friends!
- Reward Yourself. At the end of the week if you haven't missed a single workout session, treat yourself! I'm not talking pizza and Sam Adams here....schedule a massage, sleep in an extra hour on Saturday, or fix yourself a fist-thick steak on the grill for dinner.