I don't like to be a negative person, but every now and then a situation comes along when my eternally optimistic side has to take a break. With my optimism shoved aside a different side of me gets to come out and play. This is the side of me that yells at airplane passengers seated in the emergency aisle when they ask for help getting their luggage in an overhead bin. This is also the side of me that is sick of CrossFit getting a bad reputation from people who have hardly scratched the surface of what it's TRULY like.
There was recently an article published in Slate Magazine titled "Workout so hard you vomit". Um, I'm sorry....are you talking about CrossFit? I'm pretty sure if you do ANYTHING at high enough intensity you could vomit. Due to the rise in popularity of P90X and this atrocious article, I am left with no choice but to give you the:
TOP 10 REASONS WHY CROSSFIT IS BETTER THAN P90X
1. The group setting - Everything is more fun with OTHER PEOPLE. Well, maybe this guy doesn't think so, but the rest of the world likes to do things together.
2. CrossFit Forces you to socialize - Ah yes, the dreaded socialization. As adults, how many activities do you do that DON'T involve going to the bar, or drinking in your best friend's garage? Hmmm....not many, eh? CrossFit Fire provides a healthy outlet for adults to socialize. Yes, we have outings and we drink. But the majority of our time is spent together celebrating each other's success in the gym.
3. It's lifelong, not just 90 days - CrossFit promotes a lifelong health and wellness regime. The same cannot be said about P90X. The very nature of P90X is that it is meant to be done for 90 days at a time. Then what???
4. You get to lift heavy stuff - Be a man, pick up something heavy! Good....now do it again.
5. Coaching- I know that you feel like you are doing everything EXACTLY like the overly tanned instructor in your video, but how can you tell if you're doing it right? Who do you go to if you get hurt? What if you have a pre-existing injury that prevents you from doing one or more of the movements and you need a substitution?
6. Accountability - If you were really THAT self motivating, would we be in this predicament to begin with??
7. The t-shirts - Yeah, I know it sounds corny, but the t-shirts are pretty damn cool.
8. CrossFit is a sport, not just a way to find your abs in 90 days - With any sport comes friendly competition. Friendly competition is what pushes people to find the limits of what they used to think possible!
9. Functionality - All that fitness from the comfort of your family room? Really? Sound too good to be true. CrossFit prepares your body for movements you use in everyday life.
10. You get to be loud - Your wife hates to hear you gruntng from the basement. Separate yourself from your family environment and enter The Zone. Spend that car ride transitioning from Dad to athlete, and then back to super Dad. Besides, nobody ever sets a 20kg deadlift PR listening to their kids fight, and figuring out whose turn it is to hold the remote.